Tuesday, September 20, 2005

CRASH


I wonder how many of you have received e-mails regarding Hurricane Katrina which declare, in essence, the following sentiment:

"I don't give a shit about those lazy, no good for nothing, worthless damn niggers in New Orleans. If they were too stupid to get out of town, then they got what they deserve. More importantly, the rebuilding and the relief efforts are costing me money! And for what -- so they can all go back on welfare and get more handouts?"

Sad, but true -- I've received a half dozen of these in the past week or so from a number of different folks all known to me personally. Quite frankly, I'm sickened by this deep-rooted rage and so it is with this in mind that I now turn my comments to a truly remarkable film, one that is perhaps THE BEST Hollywood movie ever about race and about life in another contemporary, ethnically diverse city -- in this case Los Angeles. Rather than going into details, I simply and humbly request that if you haven't seen CRASH, please do so. Superbly directed by Paul Haggis (the screenwriter for MILLION DOLLAR BABY) and comprising a stellar cast, this is a must-see movie.

2 Comments:

At 9:17 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Well, I found it far less compelling that you. Granted the racial issues addressed seemed to be on point (reality based) and not the usual hyper-exaggeration that is usually presented. The trailers of the scene where the car is stolen and Sandra Bullock is tagged for being afraid was by far and away the best couple of minutes period. Without your experience, expertise and very liberal (or should I say Hollywood perspective) I am not so sure how much you would rave over this cinematic effort. For me this got the three pillows award.

 
At 6:19 AM, Anonymous free movie said...

As I walked out of the theater into the rainy night it resonated with me and colored my thoughts as I made my way through the crowds of unknown fellow people filling the cinema. That's about all I can ask for in a film.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home